Wednesday 12 December 2012

Wet walk to the Post Office for mangos

Gentle rain today; so far the rains aren't really living up to expectations; the gentle stuff is somehow encouraging for the germinating maize but more torrential rain washes the artificial fertilizer out in the customary way.
So my wet walk didn't take place in stormy, lashing rain but a gentle trickle, easily fielded by my big umbrella.   Having delayed in buying this essential piece of rainy season equipment, I made an impulse purchase and bought one for a bargain price at the Kalima Tower bus station in Lusaka.  Many have shaken their heads, prophesying doom and an early demise for my apparently sturdy (oh no, not at the bus station!!)  navy blue, large, with 'automatic erection' device and proper bent handle.  The little thingies that go on the ends of the spokes to hold the fabric started to fall off the first time I used it so the doom seemed imminent.  However, my good brother sent me a parcel of DIY stuff including gaffer tape and strong glue so the thingies are now more firmly attached than ever.
One of the purchases I hoped for today, after posting my letters and buying stamps, were some ripe mangos, unobtainable at my usual fruit stall.  But not a mango to be seen at Chilanga market; oranges, apples and bananas which I already have, but no mangos   
Pam's bakery was open, though so a brown loaf, fresh rolls and chicken pies were added to my bag, as were two bars of Cadbury's chocolate from the mini mart, carefully packed away from the still-warm pies.
I walked home, still mango-less, to find a friendly local farmer had sent us a big bag

2 comments:

  1. fancy forgetting the mangoes!
    enjoyed reading all about your day Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't forget the mangos but or some reason I couldn't understand, they weren't available at all.
    I enjoyed the day too

    ReplyDelete