Tuesday 11 December 2012

Pre-Christmas, Zambian style

As a 'would-be and trying' faithful follower of Jesus Christ, I look forward to his birthday with its huge significance in terms of Immanuel, God-with-us, God's love shown in our world. 
But the Christmas commercial hype leaves me cold so I'm looking forward to another Zambian Christmas which closely matches my taste.
Many of the supermarkets are advertising on TV about Christmas offers,stocking up on 'seasonal fare' and even mounting displays of Santas complete with sleigh and reindeer...
But that's easy to avoid as I watch TV and visit Shoprite and Pick and Pay rarely so I can enjoy Advent as a time of spiritual peace and growth, looking forward to a new demonstration of the Incarnation, some special celebrations, hopefully including a good meal.
At the Hospice where I work, there will be parties: one for staff and one for the children in our ART (Anti- Retro-viral Therapy, medication for those who are HIV+) programme.  Families look forward to a special meal; here, my heart goes out to those without enough to eat at this food shortages time of year.
I would defend myself against an accusation of being a 'Scrooge' but, being with each other, sharing and reaching out to those in need seems to me the best antidote to HUMBUG!

No comments:

Post a Comment