Sunday 27 January 2013

Lusaka's secret pool

Sunday is my day off so I usually try to do something to make it different to the rest of the week. This is a particularly appropriate style of life for a Christian, enjoying myself on the Lord's Day, celebrating some of the good things the Lord has given me.
Lusaka is where I usually go as there are more opportunities there.  I live in Chilanga, a small town about 15km away from the capital, Lusaka, and the possibilities locally are limited to Munda Wanga, the wildlife park, which I'm keeping in reserve for another Sunday....coming up later in this blog!
This Sunday morning dawned sunny and warm so I headed off to St Ignatius' Church for Mass with my swimsuit and camping towel in my backpack.  This involved a (mini)bus ride to the infamous Kalima Tower bus station followed by a half hour walk guided by my extremely useful street map.  
After Mass, I followed my trusty map to the Sports grounds and found the pool.  No one was in the office at the entry so I went on in, undressed and went up as directed by the painted sign to the poolside. The pool, 50 metres by 25 metres, gleamed in the warm sun as invitingly as I've ever been gleamed at by a stretch of water.  Walking , as instructed by another sign, through the (dry) footbath, I dived in to the deep end and found the reality fully lived up to my expectations.  The water, initially cool on my skin was refreshing without being chilly and very fresh and clean.  Swimming peacefully, I realised there was a false note in this blissful scenario which was the paucity of other swimmers, a mere half dozen in this huge expanse.  OK, the paths round the pool and the seats  for spectators were dilapidated and the diving boards removed from the frames but the grass surrounds were trimmed, there was no rubbish, the tall acacia and baobab trees made a lush green background and dragonflies were dancing over and sipping from the clear water.  This municipal pool seems to be Lusaka's best-kept secret; at 10/5 kwacha for an adult/child (the equivalent of about £1.20/60p) it has to be within the purse of many Zambians who I know spend considerably more to go to pools in hotels and  'Water Fun Parks' with flumes, slides etc.  Maybe some advertising?  Or maybe it can be kept as our secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment